Molecular hydrogen (H2) is touted as the perfect healer. It improves every cell in your body. It’s among the oldest and most abundant elements in the universe. It’s proven safe for virtually everyone. Anti-aging and longevity researchers consistently rank it a most promising supplement (along with NAD+ boosters).Molecular hydrogen is the ultimate antioxidant, selectively scavenging only harmful free radicals maintaining healthy cell signaling. Click To Tweet
Reaping the full healing potential of molecular hydrogen requires large doses. More than you get through a glass of water or a deep breath. Two popular ways to administer H2 are through tablets and hydrogen water generating machines. Both work, but for reasons I’ll describe below, tablets are the better option. I’ll cover the top molecular hydrogen tablets on the market in 2020 and how you can distinguish quality products from junk.
Molecular Hydrogen in a Nutshell
Molecular hydrogen is the smallest existent gas molecule, enabling it to benefit every single human cell. It acts as a selective antioxidant, only quelling problematic free radicals while avoiding those essential to good health. Originally studied in Japanese hospitals, now over 1,000 peer-reviewed studies support molecular hydrogen as beneficial in both healthy populations as well as in 170 different diseases.
The H2 molecule is extremely bioavailable since it’s tiny and does not carry a charge. In humans, the greatest effect comes from cyclical ingestion. That means spreading out doses to a maximum of twice daily.
Some of the top benefits and mechanisms of molecular hydrogen include:
- Stabilizing blood sugar
- Reducing inflammation
- Alleviating brain fog
- Preventing neurodegeneration
- Boosting NAD levels
- Reducing damage of chronic stress
- Protecting against EMF-induced damage
- Mitigating side effects of radiation therapy
- Mimicking the effects of fasting
Two of the greatest minds pioneering molecular hydrogen research and products include:
- Alex Tarnava (from Drink HRW)
- Tyler Lebaron
While molecular hydrogen tablets have been used since the 1990s, recent technological advancements have made this wonder antioxidant available, more effective, and affordable.
Tablets vs H2 Water Generators
The two main ways of supplementing molecular hydrogen are tablets and water generators.
I prefer tablets over H2 water generating machines for several reasons:
- Far cheaper
- Higher concentration (stronger pulse effect)
- Quick (generators can take 20+ minutes to produce a glass of water)
- Safer (not explosive, flammable, nor can I inhale chlorine gas)
- Generators must add TDS to get hydrogen to remain in the water
How to Choose Quality Molecular Hydrogen Tablets
Working with raw hydrogen is dangerous so few companies are willing to supply the necessary ingredients. Most brands source from the same manufacturers. But as molecular hydrogen research continues to boom, new discoveries make certain brands better than others.
When choosing molecular hydrogen tablets, note the following:
- California Proposition 65 or other warnings of potential toxic contamination.
- Parts per million (PPM) of the tablet. Molecular hydrogen only benefits at the higher doses.
- Third-party testing. Laboratories and users both test molecular hydrogen tablets and report the actual concentration. Some companies fall short of their label claims.
- Minerals and inactive ingredients. H2 needs to be combined with minerals to effectively concentrate in water.
- Open or closed container. Lower-quality products must be placed into sealed containers to achieve maximum potency. Product descriptions should indicate suitability for use in open containers.
Best Overall: Drink HRW Rejuvenation H2
Drink HRW Rejuvenation H2 Overview
H2 Concentration: 12.4 PPM
Cost: $1 per tablet
Recommended Water: 12 – 17 oz
Scientist Alex Tarnava revolutionized H2. Drink HRW tablets generate 12.4 PPM, more molecular hydrogen than any other brand. By a long shot. Third-party analysis validates their hydrogen concentration claims.
Drink HRW’s patented formula keeps more of the molecular hydrogen in the water, while most brands quickly evaporate off.
When high H2 doses are needed (such as before a CAT scan or plane flights), nothing beats Drink HRW Rejuvenation.
Best Value: Dr. Mercola
Mercola H2 Overview
H2 Concentration: 8 PPM
Cost: $0.53 per tablet
Recommended Water: 16 oz
Backed by one of the biggest names in natural health and longevity, Dr. Mercola’s molecular hydrogen tablets deliver the largest dose of H2 for the price. As an added bonus, Mercola’s H2 is soy-free, gluten-free, and GMO-free. Judging by the ingredients list, the magnesium included is likely the highly bioavailable magnesium malate. These tablets are produced in the USA.
For general purposes, they’re hard to beat. When I run out of my current stock, I’ll go back to Dr. Mercola’s molecular hydrogen.
Runner Up: Vital Reaction H2
Vital Reaction H2 Overview
H2 Concentration: 10 PPM
Cost: $0.83 per tablet
Recommended Water: 12-16 oz
Don’t let the plain label fool you. Each Vital Reactions H2 tablet produces 10 PPM of molecular hydrogen. They claim to have the fastest dissolving formula.
Completely free of antibiotics (as tablets should be), colors, and preservatives. Vital Reactions H2 is 100 percent natural and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Third party analysis confirms the 10 PPM, making Vital Reactions a top no-frills, high concentration choice.
Also Great: Quicksilver Scientific H2 Elite
Quicksilver Scientific H2 Elite Overview
H2 Concentration: 10 PPM
Cost: $1.00 per tablet
Magnesium: 80mg (malate)
Recommended Water: 12-16 oz
Quicksilver Scientific (QS) makes some of the highest-quality, best-absorbed supplements. At 10 PPM, QS produced the strongest tablets on the market—until Drink HRW.
Formulated by Dr. Christopher Shade, Ph.D and manufactured in the USA, H2 Elite is the contaminant-free choice. The label includes: vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, allergen-free, non-GMO, cGMP certified.
Quicksilver Scientific molecular hydrogen has an extra organic acid in its formulation to further increase PPM and absorption. H2 Elite does not require a closed container like many products on the market.
H2 Concentration: 5 PPM
Cost: $0.88 per tablet
Recommended Water: 8-10 oz
UltraH2 has the largest magnesium dose of any molecular hydrogen tablet. Although each tablet only generates a concentration of 5 PPM, the extra mineral content may improve its absorption.
UltraH2 tabs dissolve in as little as 90 seconds. Note that the manufacturer recommends using them in closed containers. Their product is made in the USA, non-GMO, gluten-free, GMP-certified, and Informed Choice Certified for Sport.
Other Molecular Hydrogen Tablet Brands
In my research or personal experience, I came across products that didn’t hold up in comparison to the others. I have nothing against these brands (except Trusii), but I’d look elsewhere first:
- Aquah2: several users tested the products themselves. They found H2 concentrations of 1.8 ppm. I couldn’t find the manufacturer’s claimed PPM, but <2 isn’t good enough. Their 55mg of magnesium also makes me doubt how well the product actually works.
- Active H2 Ultra+: I couldn’t find a PPM listed in their product description. Users give decent reviews online, but the product seems overpriced.
- Trusii H2 Tablets: I actually liked these tablets and they tested at a high 9 PPM. But upper management of the company is unethical. They got into legal trouble for scamming people with their H2 water generating machines (another reason to choose tablets). No matter how good the product, I do not support shady businesses. Avoid Trusii!
Using Your New H2 Tablets
Once you have your molecular hydrogen tabs, using them is easy.
First, determine if you purchased an “open container” or “closed container” product. If you don’t see “open container” listed anywhere, assume it’s closed container.
Second, fill container with water or non-carbonated beverage. Carbonation can interfere with molecular hydrogen.
Third, if using a “closed container” product, after dropping the tablet into the specified amount of water, seal the container until the tablet dissolves.
Fourth, once the tablet has dissolved drink quickly! Molecular hydrogen rapidly dissipates from water, so to maximize effects, don’t delay.
To recap the process:
- Get molecular H2.
- Drop 1 or 2 tablets into a glass of water or non-carbonated beverage.
- Drink quickly as soon as tab finishes dissolving.
Note: keep tablet out of mouth. There is speculation that swallowing the whole tablet is dangerous.
How to Test the PPM of Molecular Hydrogen Tablets
Warning: testing should only be done in a laboratory setting.
You can manually test H2 tablets to ensure that you’re getting the full dose advertised. The process is done by adding a testing solution (called H2 blue) to a glass of molecular hydrogen water.
Here are the steps to testing the PPM of your molecular hydrogen tabs:
- Add 1 H2 tablet to a glass of water
- Fill a small glass (or vial) with 6 mL of hydrogen water
- Add 10 drops of H2 blue testing solution to the 6 mL of hydrogen water
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 and count total drops until solution remains blue.
Every 10 drops equals 1 PPM of molecular hydrogen. So if you add 30 drops, stir, and the solution stays blue, that means your tablet contains less than 3 PPM of H2.
This video shows the process:
Common Molecular Hydrogen Questions
Does hydrogen water really work?
Hydrogen water works in both the healthy and sick. Most notably, it is a powerful selective antioxidant, capable of acting on any cell, organ and tissue. It’s considered one of the top anti-aging supplements and is being researched for use in the treatment of 170+ different diseases.
What does molecular hydrogen do for the body?
Molecular hydrogen reduces oxidative stress and inflammation throughout the body. Since inflammation is at the root of most chronic disease, molecular hydrogen reverses brain fog, neurodegeneration, mimics the effects of fasting, and slightly increases energy.
What are the side effects of hydrogen water?
Considered very safe, molecular hydrogen water itself does not have any known side effects. However, tablets and H2 water generators can cause side effects from inactive ingredients and the off-gassing of other compounds.
How much hydrogen water should I drink a day?
Your ideal hydrogen water dose depends on the use case. It’s recommended to pulse molecular hydrogen usage 1-2 times per day, in the morning and evening. Follow the product recommendations.
The Top H2 Tablets of 2020 Compared
Supplemental hydrogen is a special molecule.
Supported by over 1,000 studies for use in treating 170+ diseases, anti-aging researchers are keenly watching H2.
When traditional treatment options fail, people turn to molecular hydrogen. H2 water generating machines hold promise, but the convenience, effectiveness, portability, and price of molecular hydrogen tablets make them the best choice.
I’ve listed the top products for maximum potency, cost, value, and alternatives. Have you used molecular hydrogen? What’s your favorite product?
- Molecular Hydrogen Institute: http://www.molecularhydrogeninstitute.com/